Wednesday 6 June 2012

The Syrian Problem.

I have been reading an awful lot of articles and blogs about the disaster that is Syria. It has been obvious for months that this is more complicated than the lamestream media would force us to believe. Contrary to what they say, it is about a lot more than just establishing democracy. Reports have surfaced from Syria that lay the blame at the door of NATO who have allegedly infiltrated the rebel movement and have formed death squads who disguise themselves as government militia. Also, Al Qaeda have been mentioned, but while I have no doubts that all of the above are heavily involved, a further cause has been sighted, and that is that old festering sore that is sectarianism. Sunni vs Shiite and Islam vs Christian and all points in between. The US and UK's answer is send the troops in. You only have to look at Libya to realise what a disaster that would be. The NATO countries have already been caught shipping arms to the rebels so they obviously can't be trusted to broker a solution. I am wary of the UN being fair in this matter and what I am about to say will seem extremely controversial. Countries like Russia and China (I know all about their human rights abuses) could be asked to formulate a strategy for peace. You will notice that I don't say "regime change" I don't think that is the answer. My belief is that every faction has to get around the table and hammer out a solution that can be acceptable to all. Russia and China could chair such a meeting. Controversial I know but again as I said, take a look at NATO's handling of Libya.
I would like to know if I am being silly or if anybody agrees with me.

No comments: